Friends of the Rainforest’s Board of Directors is currently seeking new board members. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Ideal Candidates will have strong interest and experience in one or more of the following: effective participation in Board activities, advising and providing council on legal documentation, necessary tax filings, executive hiring process, personnel policies and salary scale. Exceptional talent in fund raising and/or marketing will be highly valued. These areas involve identifying prospective donors, building relationships with them and developing strategies for their cultivation.
Board Member Responsibilities Are As Follows
- Regularly prepares for and attends bi-monthly meetings.
- Participates on at least one subcommittee of the Board.
- Works cooperatively with fellow Board Members to complete the Board’s work in a timely manner.
- Ensures that her or his participation contributes to the effective operation of the Board and the success of the organization:
- Focusing exclusively on the best interests of the Board and FOTR rather than on any personal or other agenda.
- Maintaining objectivity in all deliberations.
- Supporting all Board decisions once they are made.
- Participating in honest evaluations of one’s own performance and that of the Board.
- Attends Board training workshops.
- Provides the Board and FOTR with advice and technical assistance in her or his individual areas of expertise.
- Acts as an advocate and representative of the FOTR in creating and maintaining relationships with FOTR’s community and financial supporters.
- Acts as liaison to Costa Rican partners through travel to Costa Rica with board at own expense.
A Board Member Makes The Commitment To Work And Lead With Determination, Integrity And Purpose, And Embodies These Essential Qualities
Friends of the Rainforest Board Member is more than a community volunteer. This person’s work supports FOTR’s vision to promote a sustainable world.
- Passionate with an unwavering commitment to FOTR’s mission.
- Has a shared vision for FOTR and the steps required to realize that vision.
- Understands the distinction between the roles and responsibilities of each person and entity involved.
- Willingness to volunteer for one or more Board committees and the ability to contribute appropriate time and energy necessary to follow through on assigned tasks.
- Results-oriented with the ability to work within a team structure.
- Specific knowledge, experience, and/or interest in at least one element of governance for FOTR.
- Commitment to a partnership based on mutual trust and respect among the Board, the Executive Director, Staff and volunteers.